VICTORIA FALLS AND A DISASTER

This morning we got to sleep in until 6:15! We were on the road by 7:45, fifteen minutes past our scheduled departure. Since we have a private vehicle, we didn't hold anyone up. This time, we exited the camp without using a boat and drove through the Mosi-oa-Tunya (The Smoke that Thunders) National Park before exiting on the paved highway that leads to Victoria Falls. We were told that there was more water on the Zimbabwe side of the falls but it would have cost an extra $1000 US to go over to view the falls from that side. We opted not to. I was glad we did when I saw that the Zimbabwe side consisted of only three waterfalls while the Zambian side had many more. The water going over the falls was less on the Zambian side but we could see the main waterfall in Zimbabwe. The water level had dropped about six metres in the last few weeks but the Falls were still impressive. We birdied along the gorge and added a couple of species to our lists. We headed back once the heat became unbearable and arrived at camp in time for an hour break before lunch.

That is when disaster struck. Somehow, my pictures for most of the trip were deleted not only from my IPad but from my camera's memory card. There must have been some sort of glitch. Anyway, I plan a visit to the Apple Store on my return to see if some could be retrieved. Glen has taken my memory card and is going to try to download some of his videos and photos. As you can imagine, I was very upset. That is why I posted to the blog my notes, but no pictures.

We had another delicious lunch but a vervet monkey managed to steal a piece of bread from my plate. Once back in the room decided to check the news. Learned of the devastation caused by the tornados in Ottawa and Gatineau. Nothing else in the world news seems to have changed.

This afternoon, we are taking another boat trip down the Zambezi River.  It was so delightful yesterday - much cooler on the water.

One more sleep before we leave this enchanting country.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog